Week 6: Transition
William Bridges writes in Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change, “Before you can begin something new, you have to end what used to be. Before you can learn a new way of doing things, you have to unlearn the old way. Before you can become a different kind of person (church), you must let go of your old identity.”11
37. Pray for the new ministry's pastor.
“If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging. If it is giving, give generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously.”
God used Moses to lead the people out of Egypt, out of the past way of life. Moses led the people through the wilderness to the edge of the Promised Land. But God used Joshua to lead the people into the Promised Land and a new way of life. God will use a new pastor to lead the church after the Merger.
• Pray for the Bishop and Cabinet as they discern the best pastor for the unified ministry.
• Pray for the openness of the pastor and family to the opportunity of leading a unified ministry.
• Give thanks for current pastors who will move to a new church and pray for their transition.
• Pray for a smooth transition for the new pastor and your church.