Effective Church Leadership
10 Characteristics of An Effective Church Leader
I recently saw this list of 10 qualities posted on another church blog and couldn’t help but share it here. These are ten characteristics Hillsong Church expects all staff members to embrace in order to serve at Hillsong.In my opinion, this should be the baseline for every church.
1. I am a can-do person. Strong teams are full of people who take accountability for themselves, and who feel most alive when they are putting their best foot forward.
2. This is not my job. This is my life. 2 Timothy 1:9 says, “He has saved us and called us to a Holy life” (NIV). This isn’t just about a job in ministry. This is about a lifestyle that reflects the transforming work of Jesus Christ.
3. I will serve the Lord with gladness. “On your feet now—applaud God! Bring a gift of laughter, sing yourselves into his presence.” Psalm 100:2 (NIV) Ministry is hard, but if it isn’t also fun and full of gladness, we’re doing something wrong.
4. Empowerment starts with me. Strong ministries operate under the assumption that everyone is empowered to work hard, grow, overcome sin and temptation, serve others, confront conflict, make amends, take accountability and empower others to do the same.
5. I am not on the gossip train. It’s so easy to get caught in the gossip train, if not in church itself, then in the blogosphere. Healthy ministries will resist gossip.
6. I am one of them. No matter what team you are leading, what title you hold, or what title you hope to hold someday — we are all on the same team. We play different roles but are pointed toward the same objective.
7. I will bring those around me on the journey. As a church leader, there are hundreds of people you try to “bring with you” on the journey. But the most important group of people you can bring with you is your own family. Your ministry won’t matter without them.
8. My tone of voice is not whining. It is possible to have a good heart, but still come across as whining or complaining to others. How does my leadership sound to those around me? Leadership attitudes (real or perceived) are contagious.
9. I delegate but I don’t dump. Do you see others around you as a means to an end, or are you also invested in what they are learning and who they are becoming?
10. My spirituality is attractive. Our love for God, for people, and for life should be always be compelling to others.
How are you doing with these ten qualities?