Merger Prayer Vigil - Week 3
The “Great Commission,” as it is called, sends Jesus’ disciples out into the world to make new disciples. We are to go into all the world, presenting the Good News message and inviting others to become disciples. A disciple is one who follows the teacher, learning from the teacher, and doing what the teacher instructs.
15. Pray for new people.
“Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.” Matthew 28:19
Jesus’ last command was to make new disciples. The church must be faithful in reaching those that have yet to experience the love and grace of God.
• Pray for people in the community, that their hearts will be softened and they will be open to experience God’s love.
• Pray of boldness in the members of your churches, that they would be willing to talk to others about their relationship with Jesus.
• Pray for divine appointments of people who are open to hear about God with people who are willing to share their relationship.
16. Pray for children.
Jesus said, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.” Matthew 19:14
It is true that children are the future of the church. Children and young families are a sign of a healthy, vital congregation.
• Pray for the children, youth and young families already in your churches.
• Pray for the church to create opportunities to meet the needs of children.
• Pray for new workers to come to the church that will have a heart for and gift in ministry to children.
• Pray for children in your mission field.
• Pray for your church to reach out to these children in creative and effective ways.
17. Pray for young families
But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them? And how will anyone go and tell them without begin sent? Rom 10:14-15
Children will not attend the church on their own. Their parents need to see the need to be in church before they will ensure their children will be there.
• Pray for the hearts of the young adults in your mission field, that they would desire a relationship with God.
• Pray for the church to develop effective ministries to meet the needs of young parents.
• Pray for young adult workers who can be effective in reaching other young adults.
18. Pray for more diverse people.
“After this I saw a vast crowd, too great to count, from every nation and tribe and people and language, standing in front of the throne and before the Lamb.” Revelation 7:9
Martin Luther King, Jr. said that Sunday morning is the most segregated hour. Heaven will be a diverse place. The church needs to reflect that diversity.
• Repent of any racial prejudice present in your community.
• Pray that the church would be open to ministry to all people.
• Pray that all the people of your mission field will be drawn to your church and find a welcoming home there.
19. Pray that God would bring people from all directions.
“And people will come from all over the world—from east and west, north and south—to take their places in the Kingdom of God.” Luke 13:29
God desires that all people experience God’s love and grace. The church should reach a more people, more younger people, and more diverse people.
• Pray that the hearts of people in all directions from your church would be softened and open to the grace of God.
• Pray that the church will be open to the needs of the people in all directions.
• Pray that ministries and programs will be created to reach people in all directions.
20. Pray for unchurched people
“And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere.” Acts 1:8
The church’s responsibility is not to gain new members from other churches, but to make new disciples.
• Pray that the spiritual, emotional and physical needs of the people will be met.
• Pray that the church will be open and receptive to people who do not have a history of church.
• Pray that the church will reach out to unchurched people in ways relevant and meaningful to them.
21. Pray for people to accept Christ as Savior
Jesus told him “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.” John 14:6
The church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ, which involves having a change of heart and life.
• Pray that people would have a spiritual hunger and openness.
• Pray that the church will take to heart the responsibility to help people develop a relationship with Christ.
• Pray that church people will make sharing their faith a priority.
While in prayer, what impressions did you have about making new disciples?